Landscape Astrophotography Workshop
Acadia National Park
May 28 – June 1 2016
Guided by Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC
Where: Acadia National Park, Maine
When: May 28 – June 1, 2016 (4 nights)
Class Size: Limit of 6 people
Cost: $1700 per person
Alumni Discount: $1500 for previous clients
Registration: Read EVERYTHING on this page first, you will find the reservation request form at the bottom of the page.
SOLD OUT! Waiting list only!
Learn how to photograph the Milky Way in beautiful and dark Acadia National Park in the state of Maine! Acadia and other coastal areas on the north shore of Maine are some of the darkest areas on the eastern coast of the United States. In this workshop we will cover everything you need to know to capture dramatic photos of the Milky Way with your DSLR.
This workshop is hosted solely by Adam Woodworth.
You will get an overview of everything I know and I will provide personal attention to each person throughout the class.
We will go out each night as weather allows to photograph the Milky Way over scenic locations. I will teach you about focusing for the stars in the dark, white balance settings, exposure settings, exposure and focus stacking, and star stacking for pinpoint stars and lower noise. This workshop is scheduled going into the new moon, for the first couple nights we will have the chance to shoot the rising moon in our Milky Way landscapes late in the night, but will start out with dark skies those nights.
The workshop will also include classroom instruction and editing time each day. We’ll cover my entire workflow for editing astro images. Please bring your laptop or portable computer (e.g. iMac). Computers are not provided. Your computer MUST have up to date versions of Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop installed, as the class relies on those programs.
Please note that the daily schedule is subject to change depending on weather and other factors, please plan for flexibility in scheduling during the workshop.
May 28: Meet and greet and class from 2 – 6pm. Shooting from 9pm – 2am.
May 29: Classroom time from 2 – 6pm. Shooting from 9pm – 2am.
May 30: Classroom time from 2 – 6pm. Shooting from 9pm – 2am.
May 31: Classroom time from 2 – 6pm. Shooting from 9pm – 2am.
June 1: The workshop concludes after shooting early in the AM, so this day is for checking out of your hotel.
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel
119 Eden Street
Bar Harbor, ME 04609
The Atlantic Oceanside Hotel has given this workshop a special group rate of $179-$188 per night plus tax. If you book this workshop, you will be given the code for this rate.
Although we will use Atlantic Oceanside Hotel as our base of operations, you should feel free to stay somewhere else in or near Bar Harbor if you wish. Feel free to choose another property to suit your budget and needs.
Physical Requirements, Safety & Risks
This is an outdoor nature photo workshop, so general good health and fitness will help maximize your comfort and enjoyment. That said, the activities we have planned should be well within the ability of people in moderate to good shape. Hiking will always be less than one mile (one way) over easy to moderate terrain.
Please note that this workshop is in the dark and often along rocky and dangerous terrain. If you venture out onto rocks at the ocean’s edge you acknowledge the risk you’re taking. All participants are required to sign a risk of acknowledgement form at the start of the workshop. Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC, is not responsible for any injuries during this workshop.
The price of the workshop does not include transportation, lodging, meals, or an Acadia Park Pass. You are responsible for all of these.
This is not a beginner’s photography class. You must be familiar with the basics landscape photography, the controls of your camera, exposure principals, etc. You probably should not book this workshop if you are still learning the basics of photography, and instead book later on when you’re more comfortable with landscape photography.
Required Camera Equipment
You must have the following items to take this workshop. Please do not book this workshop if you don’t have the minimum equipment, refunds will not be issued if you arrive without the necessary gear.
- DSLR – crop frame or full frame camera (please bring the manual)
- Wide angle lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or brighter
- For full frame, 16mm or wider is recommended. The Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is highly recommended, and the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (Bower and Samyang make the same lens) is an excellent inexpensive manual focus lens but please test it to make sure you can get objects very far away in focus. Some copies are not able to focus properly – refunds will not be issued if you do not test your lens for infinity focusing prior to the workshop.
- For crop frame, 12mm or wider is recommended. The Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 or Tokina11-16mm f/2.8 lens is a good choice.
- If you have 24mm on a full frame or 16mm on a crop frame you can still get by as long as the aperture is f/2.8 or brighter.
- Lots of fully charged batteries! Bring as many as you can.
- At least a couple 16GB or larger flash memory cards.
- Sturdy tripod
- Remote shutter release with timer and extra batteries
- Chemical hand warmers (Little Hotties, Grabbers, Hot Hands, etc) or electric heating system for keeping your lens unfogged
- Rubber bands to keep the warmers in place
- Headlamp with a red LED mode. Your headlamp MUST have a red LED mode on it to limit the amount of light that will get into the shots of other workshop participants and to help preserve your night vision. One like this Black Diamond Spot works very well.
- Laptop or portable computer (e.g. iMac) suitable for editing your photos. You MUST have up to date versions of Lightroom and Photoshop installed.
- Additional headlamp and/or flashlight and batteries
- External backup harddrive – I’d hate for you to lose your photos because your memory card dies or your computer crashes! I recommend making backups of your photos.
- Warm clothing – it can get very cold on the seacoast even in the summer!
- Proper footwear – good grip and waterproof
- Food & water – bring plenty to get you through the night
- Things to keep you comfortable in the outdoors – bug spray, chair, blanket, etc
Tuition & Cancellation Policy
A deposit of $300 is required to secure a space on this workshop. Full tuition is due 60 days before the workshop starts. A full refund minus a $100 processing fee is available if you cancel 60 days or more before the workshop starts. Within 60 days, we will only issue a refund (minus $100) if we can fill your spot.
In the event that circumstances beyond my control force me to cancel the workshop completely, there will be 100% full refunds given. But Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC, is not responsible for any non-refundable airline tickets, lodging, car rentals, or other travel fees that you may have purchased before the cancellation of the workshop. I strongly consider getting refundable airline tickets and travel insurance to cover such losses in the event of a workshop cancellation and you decide not to go on your planned trip.
Night photography depends on clear skies, but sadly that is beyond my control! We will try our best to shoot every night of the workshop. However, I cannot offer refunds if the weather prevents us from seeing the stars at all. But I can tell you that you will come away with lots of knowledge for shooting and editing landscape astrophotography images!
You must provide your own transportation to and around Acadia. You will need to rent a car if you’re flying into the area.
If you’re flying into the area please consider traveler’s insurance and refundable airline tickets in case the workshop needs to be cancelled or rescheduled.
The workshop is held in Acadia National Park, you must purchase a park pass to display in your vehicle while you’re in Acadia.
Registration – SOLD OUT! Fill out the form below to be placed on the waiting list.
Please fill out the form below to request your spot in the workshop. I’ll check your equipment list to see if it will work for the workshop and I’ll e-mail you back with information on how to pay the deposit via PayPal. You must be 18 years of age or older.