JULY 28 - 31
AUGUST 2 - 5
AUGUST 25 - 28
AUGUST 30 - SEPT 2
MAX 6 PEOPLE
REGISTRATION: Read EVERYTHING on this page first, you will find the reservation request form at the bottom of the page.
2019 Available Dates
All workshops are 3 nights and end on the morning of the 4th day.
All dates are equally good for the workshop in terms of angles of the Milky Way and the unpredictable weather.
July 28 - 31 (Sunday - Wednesday)
August 2 - 5 (Friday - Monday)
August 25 - 28 (Sunday - Wednesday)
August 30 - September 2 (Friday - Monday)
Description & Location
Come explore the real Down East coast of Maine! Join professional photographer Adam Woodworth along the Bold Coast of Maine in Lubec, a small fishing village with a big heart and artist community, which also happens to be the easternmost town in the US. With lighthouses, rugged ocean cliffs, dark night skies, bald eagles, seals, and whales, this is an amazing place to photograph!
This is a landscape photography workshop, with a focus on landscape astrophotography with the Milky Way as conditions permit. This is the coast of Maine after all and clear skies are not guaranteed, but these workshops are scheduled around the new moon cycle so that we have moonless dark skies at night. This area is also a great place for dramatic sunrises and sunsets, with lobster boats, lighthouses, harbors, and rugged coastline as our foreground. There are also opportunities to photograph wildlife including bald eagles, seals, porpoise, whales, and puffins.
Next to Lubec is Campobello Island, a part of New Brunswick, Canada. A bridge connects the island to Lubec. Bring your passport so we can go check out this beautiful island and its lighthouses and harbors!
You will get an overview of everything I know about landscape photography and astrophotography and I will provide personal attention to each person throughout the class.
- Milky Way photography
- Sunrise & sunset photography
- Long exposure photography
- Focusing for stars in the dark
- White balance, ISO, shutter speed
- Star stacking for pinpoint stars and low noise
- Separate foreground exposures and exposure blending in Photoshop
- Sunrise & sunset photography
- Planning shots with PhotoPills (available on the App Store or Google Play)
- Forecasting sunrises and sunsets
- Lightroom & Photoshop editing
- We will cover my entire editing workflow
- The schedule is subject to change depending on weather and other factors.
- The workshop ends after shooting on the third night of the class.
Day 1: Mid-day meet & greet, hotel check-in, dinner, shooting for sunset and the Milky Way.
Day 2 & 3: Class & lunch from 10am - 2pm, dinner, shooting for sunset and the Milky Way.
Day 4: Hotel check-out and travel home.
Lodging is included in the price of this workshop, and is provided at Cohill's Inn in downtown Lubec near the water. We will also have our lunches and editing sessions here. Each workshop attendee will get their own private room with a queen bed.
Lunch during our 2 editing sessions is included in the price. Your are responsible for all other meals.
Physical Requirements, Safety & Risks
This is an outdoor nature photo workshop and being in relatively good health is best for the activities we have planned. There will be some hiking involved, maybe 1+ miles through the woods depending on conditions, so please be prepared with proper clothing.
Please note that this workshop is in the dark and often along rocky and dangerous terrain. If you venture out onto rocks at the ocean's edge you acknowledge the risk you're taking. All participants are required to sign a risk of acknowledgement form at the start of the workshop. Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC, is not responsible for any injuries during this workshop.
The price of the workshop does not include transportation, camera gear, or meals other than lunch. You are responsible for all of these.
Required Camera Equipment
You must have the following items to take this workshop. Please do not book this workshop if you don't have the minimum equipment, refunds will not be issued if you arrive without the necessary gear.
These are some recommended lenses from various manufacturers, this list is certainly not complete, and only includes wide angle lenses:
Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8
Canon 16-35mm f/2.8
Sony 16-35mm f/2.8
Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8
Tamron 15-30mm f/2.8
Rokinon (Bower, Samyang) 14mm f/2.8
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8
Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8
Zeiss 12m f/2.8
Rokinon 12mm f/2.8 (not the full frame 12mm f/2.8 fisheye lens)
- Lots of fully charged batteries! Bring as many as you can. Don't forget the charger!
- At least a couple 16GB or larger flash memory cards
- Sturdy tripod
- Remote shutter release with timer and extra batteries, preferably one with a programmable timer
- Lens warmer keeping your lens fog-free at night - I will have enough available to loan to everyone if you don't have your own, I use this Protage Lens Heater with this Anker battery.
- Headlamp with a red LED mode. Your headlamp MUST have a red LED mode on it to limit the amount of light that will get into the shots of other workshop participants and to help preserve your night vision. One like this Black Diamond Spot works very well.
- Laptop for editing your photos. You MUST have up to date versions of Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC installed. PLEASE NOTE: Lightroom CC is NOT THE SAME AS Lightroom Classic CC.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR LAPTOP IS MODERN! OLD COMPUTERS WILL NOT WORK!
- Additional headlamp and/or flashlight and batteries
- External backup harddrive - I'd hate for you to lose your photos because your memory card dies or your computer crashes! I recommend making backups of your photos.
- Warm clothing - it can get very cold on the seacoast at night even in the summer!
- Proper footwear - good grip and waterproof
- Food & water - bring plenty to get you through the night
- Things to keep you comfortable in the outdoors - bug spray, chair, blanket, etc
Airport & Rental Cars
Bangor, Maine, is the closest major airport and there are rental cars available there. Lubec is about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive from Bangor. You could also fly into Portland, roughly a 4 hour drive to Lubec.
Tuition & Cancellation Policy
The full tuition cost for this workshop is $1950, which includes 3 nights of lodging and lunch during our 2 editing sessions.
A non-refundable deposit of $500 per person is required to secure a space on this workshop. This deposit is not refundable for any reason, but in the event you have to cancel your spot more than 90 days before the workshop, $250 of the deposit may be used towards a future workshop date at the discretion of Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC.
Full tuition ($1450 balance payment) is due 90 days before the workshop starts.
If you cancel 90 or more days before the workshop start date and you've already paid the balance, then your balance payment will be refunded less a $100 cancellation fee.
Within 90 days of the workshop start date there are no refunds of any amount unless I can fill your spot. In the event I can fill your spot you will get a refund on your balance payment less a $100 cancellation fee.
If your balance payment is not made by 90 days before the workshop start date and I cannot contact you after repeated attempts then your spot will be forfeited and given to the next person on the waiting list.
In the event that circumstances beyond my control force me to cancel the workshop completely, there will be 100% full refunds given. But Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC, is not responsible for any non-refundable airline tickets, lodging, car rentals, or other travel fees that you may have purchased before the cancellation of the workshop. I strongly consider getting refundable airline tickets and travel insurance to cover such losses in the event of a workshop cancellation and you decide not to go on your planned trip.
Night photography depends on clear skies, but sadly that is beyond my control! We will try our best to shoot every night of the workshop. However, I cannot offer refunds if the weather prevents us from seeing the stars at all. But I can tell you that you will come away with lots of knowledge for shooting and editing landscape astrophotography images! We will also shoot sunrises and sunsets as conditions permit.
You must provide your own transportation.
Please fill out the form below to request your spot in the workshop. I'll check your equipment list to see if it will work for the workshop and I'll e-mail you back with information on how to pay the deposit online.
You must be 18 years of age or older. By filling out this form you acknowledge that you understand the weather and cancellation policies.