Landscape Photography & Astrophotography: Planning & Post-Processing Class
Bar Harbor, Maine
Next to Acadia National Park
April 14-15 (Sat-Sun)
August 2-3 (Thu-Fri)
Max 10 Students
Indoor Classroom Workshop
I am offering two dates for this class:
April 14 – 15 (Saturday & Sunday):
- Ocean Drive is perfect in April for photographing the Milky Way! April is a much quieter time in Acadia, but also much colder! We could still have iced over lakes and snow depending on the weather.
- Milky Way: Visible before 1am, no moon at night. Keep in mind that class starts at 10am.
- Heads Up: Some roads will remain closed until April 15th – Ocean Drive along the east coast that takes you to Sand Beach, Monument Cove, Thunder Hole, Boulder Beach, and Otter Cliffs is open all year. The road to Jordan Pond is open all year. All of the roads that are closed during the winter in Acadia National Park (including the road up Cadillac Mountain) are scheduled to be opened on Sunday, April 15th, weather pending.
August 2 – 3 (Thursday & Friday):
- The Milky Way will be best from places that face the south and west, such as Sand Beach, Otter Cliffs, Eagle Lake, and Hunter’s Beach.
- Milky Way: Visible before 10pm, moon rises at 10:58pm on Thursday, and 11:27pm on Friday.
- Heads Up: August is one of the busiest months in the park and the coast will likely have a number of other photographers out shooting the stars.
Topics Covered & Class Schedule
Classes will start at 10am and end by 6pm. This late morning start gives a little extra time for sleep if you go out the night before to photograph the Milky Way. Lunch will be catered and we can chat during lunch. We will take short breaks throughout each day.
- Gear – Cameras, Lenses, and Panorama Equipment
- ISO Invariance – When ISO Sometimes Doesn’t Matter & Why
- Camera Settings – Get the Most Out of Your Histogram and JPEG Previews
- Exposure Settings & Shooting the Milky Way
- Planning – Using PhotoPills to Plan Your Shots
- Planning sunrise, sunset, moonrise, and moonset shots
- Planning Milky Way shots including panoramas
- Crash Course on Weather Forecasting
- Forecasting a good sunrise or sunset
- Forecasting sea smoke
- Forecasting mist over lakes, rivers, and valleys
- The Importance of a Good Computer Display
- Calibrating Computer Displays
- Calibrating Cameras
- Lightroom – Intro & Using Develop Tools
- Editing Examples in Lightroom
- Luminosity Masks
- Editing Examples
- Complete Milky Way Workflow Example
- RAW Image Prep
- Star Stacking
- Blending Exposures & Focus Stacking
- Creative Edits
- Exporting JPEG files for Web Usage
- Prints – Printing Yourself & Print Labs
Milky Way Photo Opportunities
What You Need to Bring
What’s Not Included
- April 14 – 15: $134 per night not including 9% tax.
- August 2 – 3: $296 per night not including 9% tax.
- All rooms have 2 queen beds, you will have your own room and you are welcome to bring your significant other or friend to share the room.
Refund & Cancellation Policy
Tuition & Sign-Up
The price is $495 per person attending the class. To sign-up for this class please purchase your spot at the top of this page using the drop-down list to pick your date and then click the “Add to Cart” button and continue through the checkout. Full payment is required to secure your spot. After purchasing your spot you will receive an email from me within 24 hours with your discount code for the Atlantic Oceanside Hotel.