JULY 9 - 12
JULY 14 - 17
AUGUST 6 - 9
AUGUST 13 - 16
MAX 6 PEOPLE
Registration: Read everything on this page first, you will find the reservation request form at the bottom of the page.
2018 Available Dates
All workshops are 3 nights, begin on a Monday, and end on Thursday morning after sunrise and breakfast.
All dates are equally good for the workshop in terms of angles of the Milky Way and the unpredictable weather.
LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE! ALMOST SOLD OUT!
July 9 - 12 (Monday - Thursday) - SOLD OUT!
July 14 - 17 (Saturday - Tuesday) - SOLD OUT!
August 6 - 9 (Monday - Thursday) - 2 spots left!
August 13 - 16 (Monday - Thursday) - 2 spots left!
Description & Location
Come explore the real Down East coast of Maine! Join professional photographer Adam Woodworth along the Bold Coast of Maine in Lubec, a small fishing village with a big heart and artist community, which also happens to be the easternmost town in the US. With lighthouses, rugged ocean cliffs, dark night skies, bald eagles, seals, and whales, this is an amazing place to photograph!
This workshop will focus on all levels of landscape photography, but will have a focus on astrophotography with the Milky Way as conditions permit. This is the coast of Maine after all and clear skies are not guaranteed, but these workshops are scheduled around the new moon cycle so that we have moonless dark skies at night. This area is also a great place for dramatic sunrises and sunsets, with lobster boats, lighthouses, harbors, and rugged coastline as our foreground. There are also opportunities to photograph wildlife including bald eagles, seals, porpoise, as well as minke and right whales.
Next to Lubec is Campobello Island, a part of New Brunswick, Canada. A bridge connects the island to Lubec. Bring your passport so you can go check out this beautiful island and its lighthouses!
You will get an overview of everything I know about landscape photography and astrophotography and I will provide personal attention to each person throughout the class.
We will cover:
- Milky Way photography
- Sunrise & sunset photography
- Long exposure daytime photography
- Focusing for stars in the dark
- Long exposure foregrounds
- White balance, ISO, shutter speed
- Star stacking for pinpoint stars and low noise
- Sunrise & sunset photography
- Planning shots with PhotoPills (available on the App Store or Google Play)
- Forecasting sunrises and sunsets
- Lightroom & Photoshop editing
- We will cover my entire editing workflow
Please note that the daily schedule is subject to change depending on weather and other factors, please plan for flexibility in scheduling during the workshop.
The schedule is roughly as follows but will vary depending on conditions - for example if we go out for the Milky Way all night we may skip sunrise. Please note that lunch (but not dinner) is included in your workshop price!
Day 1: Meet and greet from 3pm - 5pm, dinner, then shooting for sunset starting at 7pm, Milky Way shooting 10pm-2am
Day 2 & 3: Meet at 4:15am for sunrise if we didn't shoot the Milky Way the night before, Class & lunch from 11am - 2pm, meet at 7pm for sunset, Milky Way shooting 10pm-2am
Thursday: Meet at 4:15am for sunrise (optional as above), then breakfast, end of class.
Lodging is included in the price of this workshop, and is provided at Cohill's Inn right in downtown Lubec, right near the water. We will also have our lunches and editing sessions here. Each workshop attendee will get their own private room with a queen bed.
Physical Requirements, Safety & Risks
This is an outdoor nature photo workshop and being in relatively good health is best for the activities we have planned. There will be some hiking involved, maybe 1+ miles through the woods depending on conditions, so please be prepared with proper clothing.
Please note that this workshop is in the dark and often along rocky and dangerous terrain. If you venture out onto rocks at the ocean's edge you acknowledge the risk you're taking. All participants are required to sign a risk of acknowledgement form at the start of the workshop. Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC, is not responsible for any injuries during this workshop.
The price of the workshop does not include transportation, camera gear, or meals other than lunch. You are responsible for all of these.
Required Camera Equipment
You must have the following items to take this workshop. Please do not book this workshop if you don't have the minimum equipment, refunds will not be issued if you arrive without the necessary gear.
- DSLR or mirrorless camera
- Wide angle lens with an aperture of f/2.8 or brighter for the Milky Way, but all your typical lenses otherwise for landscapes and the occasional wildlife subject
- For the Milky Way, with full frame a 16mm or wider lens is recommended. The Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 is highly recommended, and the Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 (Bower and Samyang make the same lens) is an excellent inexpensive manual focus lens but please test it to make sure you can get objects very far away in focus. Some copies are not able to focus properly - refunds will not be issued if you do not test your lens for infinity focusing prior to the workshop.
- For the Milky Way, with crop frame a 12mm or wider lens is recommended. The Tokina 11-20mm f/2.8 or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 lens is a good choice.
- Lots of fully charged batteries! Bring as many as you can. Don't forget the charger!
- At least a couple 16GB or larger flash memory cards.
- Sturdy tripod
- Remote shutter release with timer and extra batteries, preferably one with a programmable timer
- Chemical hand warmers (Little Hotties, Grabbers, Hot Hands, etc) and rubber bands or electric heating system for keeping your lens fog-free at night
- Headlamp with a red LED mode. Your headlamp MUST have a red LED mode on it to limit the amount of light that will get into the shots of other workshop participants and to help preserve your night vision. One like this Black Diamond Spot works very well.
- Laptop for editing your photos. You MUST have up to date versions of Lightroom and Photoshop installed.
- Additional headlamp and/or flashlight and batteries
- External backup harddrive - I'd hate for you to lose your photos because your memory card dies or your computer crashes! I recommend making backups of your photos.
- Warm clothing - it can get very cold on the seacoast at night even in the summer!
- Proper footwear - good grip and waterproof
- Food & water - bring plenty to get you through the night
- Things to keep you comfortable in the outdoors - bug spray, chair, blanket, etc
Airport & Rental Cars
Bangor, Maine, is the closest major airport and there are rental cars available there. Lubec is about a 2 hour drive from Bangor. You could also fly into Portland, roughly a 4 hour drive to Lubec.
Tuition & Cancellation Policy
A deposit of $500 is required to secure a space on this workshop. Full tuition is due 60 days before the workshop starts. A full refund minus a $100 processing fee is available if you cancel 60 days or more before the workshop starts. Within 60 days, we will only issue a refund (minus $100) if we can fill your spot.
In the event that circumstances beyond my control force me to cancel the workshop completely, there will be 100% full refunds given. But Adam Woodworth Photography, LLC, is not responsible for any non-refundable airline tickets, lodging, car rentals, or other travel fees that you may have purchased before the cancellation of the workshop. I strongly consider getting refundable airline tickets and travel insurance to cover such losses in the event of a workshop cancellation and you decide not to go on your planned trip.
Night photography depends on clear skies, but sadly that is beyond my control! We will try our best to shoot every night of the workshop. However, I cannot offer refunds if the weather prevents us from seeing the stars at all. But I can tell you that you will come away with lots of knowledge for shooting and editing landscape astrophotography images! And we will also be focusing on sunrises and sunsets during this workshop.
You must provide your own transportation. You will need to rent a car if you're flying into the area. Bangor, Maine, is the closest large airport. You can fly into there and rent a car to drive to Lubec, which is about a 2 hour drive from Bangor.
Please fill out the form below to request your spot in the workshop. I'll check your equipment list to see if it will work for the workshop and I'll e-mail you back with information on how to pay the deposit online.
You must be 18 years of age or older. By filling out this form you acknowledge that you understand the weather and cancellation policies.